The Anglican Church of Jesus Christ was build during 1811 - 1815 by architect Giacomo Quarenghi. It was open for public from 1815 till 1919 years.
The church was closed at 1939. The city tour desk is located now in this building. The decoration of the prayer hall is partially preserved and the hall is used as assembly hall.
Outside the strict classicism Giacomo Quarenghi, and inside - like the Modern style.
Archival materials about it after the revolution were taken away in London, and their domestic historians still have not seen. And would love to know more about the construction and existence of this remarkable monument of sacral architecture in our city.
After the war, it was almost a half-century city tour byuro.Anglikanskaya community owned it more than half a century. And the first owner of the site was a Navy lieutenant Ivan Sheremet (? - 1735) of the famous and ancient family. It was the son of Peter Petrovich, the younger brother of the famous Field Marshal Boris Petrovich, return our region of Russia. In 1717, Ivan Petrovich bought half the land "in the Admiralty clerk purveyance-Fedota Tavleeva Commission and the other who has purchased, not written." Two years later, Sheremet wrote: "there is nothing to build Mazankova Polat, forest hollow water carried away." These chambers, probably in the 1720s built, but the stone is not reached due to the early death of the owner.
As the captain commander had no children, his first cousin inherited possession - Peter B. Sheremet, and then Anna Y. Sheremeteva (1682 - 1746), born Princess Dolgoruky. She was the widow of Alexei Petrovich Sheremeteva, the brother of the first owner of the site, and has already had close to a house on the waterfront. Apparently, it was under Peter Borisovich, the son and the possessor of the wealth of Field Marshal, and it was between 1735 - 1738 years. erected on a stone basement of the building, like a palace. It had three floors, topped by an attic with a coat of arms. Into the house of a high gangplank, which is located in the center.
Seven years after the death of Anna Jakovlevny her sons Peter and Sergey sold for 3,500 rubles. inherited the house baron Jacob (Jacob) von Wolff (1698 - 1759) - British minister-resident and wealthy banker, who previously lived in it with his companion Matthew A.Schiefner. The company "Schiffner and Wolf" has flourished due to the good relations with the court. She, by the way, poods exported rhubarb - the best at that time a laxative.
When the Baron died, his nephew and heir, James, too, in April 1761 sold the house for just 500 rubles. two Englishmen: Consul Robert Netletonu and Hugh Atkins, a member of the British trading post, which was in charge of the affairs of the church and the English colony. Ridiculous selling price due to the fact that the building is going to worship of the Anglican Communion. From now on half of the century it was the home church, visited by most of the English, who lived in St. Petersburg or visited him.
Once the interior redone, March 6, 1754 in the large hall of the two rows of windows Chaplain Daniel Dumaresq held the first service. Dumaresq knew the Russian language, talked with historian GF Miller and MV Lomonosov, has encouraged many Russian-English scientific exchange, and was elected an honorary member of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences. Two subsequent chaplain, John King and William Tooke, too, were able to scientists and for his many years of service in the XVIII century made a great contribution to the introduction of England with Russia, not only politically, but also culturally. In particular, King wrote and published an extensive work "Rites and ceremonies of the Greek Church in Russia," which has long been considered fundamental in his homeland. In the church, married the famous British capital: in 1794 a breeder Charles Byrd, in 1795-meters - architect William Hastie, in 1797 - Engineer Charles Gascoigne.
English colony grew (in the beginning of the XIX century consisted of 2,700 people), and a baroque building is no longer consistent with its role in society. Redevelopment project commissioned famous Kvarengi, who chose for himself the typical classic scheme: the center of the building is decorated portico of six adjacent columns of composite order. He put on a projecting first floor and finished with a triangular pediment with three allegorical statues. The interior architect used the Corinthian columns and pilasters, covered with artificial marble. The restructuring, which affected the entire area was held in 1814 - 1816 years.
After 60 years, the parishioners decided to renovate the interior, which at the direction of the architect FK Boltengagena skylights were laid, and appeared in the lower imported from England, stained glass windows with figures of the Apostles. Part of the walls were decorated with ornamental painting, painting filled bowl. Eclectic pressed the Empire. Later, Art Nouveau contributed in the form of mosaics on the Gospel themes.
Temple all the time remained a center of spiritual and social life of the British capital, although their number is slowly decreasing. Worked with him a rich library, a children's garden, a small hospice and charity. Held the British, as always, apart and in St. Petersburg did not stay idle. Coming to work, sometimes they stayed in the church house, according to such an announcement: "A young man from the English wishing to take in what may have house for teaching children English ..." ("St. Petersburg Vedomosti". 1810. № 71). Similar ads all over the XIX century printed gardeners, managers, physicians, butler, governess, accountants and other immigrants from Britain demanded.
In 1919 the church was closed, most of the parishioners were repatriated. The premises have given the Public Library, and after the war they settled permanently City tour desk. In 2003, the former church gave the Conservatory, which is conceived in her open organ hall. Damaged organ and keep the interior restoration of the subject, but it still has not even begun. Vacant building can not be returned and local Anglicans - they in no more than a hundred, mostly foreigners. They pray now in the Swedish Church, sustained by visiting chaplains. Not that restore, but even contain a huge building tiny and poor communities can not. Looks like it's a long time if not forever. It turns out, good-bye, Anglicans!
Where: St. Petersburg, Angliyskaya naberezhnaya (Английская набережная), 56
Coordinates: 59°55'55"N 30°17'13"E
Photo: Roman Vezenin, roman-mezenin.livejournal.com