The mansion on the English Embankment (house number 68) was designed by the architect A. Krakau in 1859 - 1862 years for Baron von Stieglitz. During the construction of the new building have been partially used two walls of old houses. The architectural appearance of the building a distinctly Florentine Renaissance motifs.
In 1918, the owner was shot. The palace was nationalized. For a long time, it housed various institutions. In 1968, he was taken under state protection.
In 1988 began the restoration of the building. It was supposed to use it for the museum. But the revolutionary events of 1990 prevented these plans. Palace of the newly passed into private hands, a long time empty. The interiors have deteriorated and are in urgent need of restoration.
Dancing hall before:
Dancing hall now:
However, the facility has become controversial - with the "division" of monuments between St. Petersburg and the federal government to the Federal Property Management Agency has claimed. Without waiting for the settlement of the dispute, on which depends the possibility of further privatization of monuments, from the mansion Stieglitz refused and second in a row investor - the company decided not to invest about $ 50 million for restoration of abandoned object.
Government gave the mansion to the balance of the subordinated City Museum of the History of St. Petersburg and began to consider plans to open another in the mansion Wedding Palace.
In 2011, the house Stieglitz was handed to St. Petersburg State University.
Address: Saint-Petersburg, English Embankment 68
Source: vpeterburge.com, walkspb.ru, Roman Vezenin